Thursday, November 15, 2012

Raceway Park Here We Come

This will be short since I am typing this on my phone.

I am all packed up and on my way to New Jersey. Tomorrow (Friday) we register and set up our tents. The race starts at 10:00 a.m. Eastern on Saturday.

If anyone has any last minute donations or pledges, please get them in. Thanks to some awesome family and friends we are over $1000 in one time donations and over $200 per lap in pledges!

I am ready. Tapering over the last couple of weeks has been strange as it makes me feel lazy. For the first time in ages, I am not stiff and sore at least somewhere which also is a strange but nice feeling. My energy level right now is extremely high and I can't wait to get out there to see what this old Marine can do.

Cammie and the girls made a real nice going away card for me. Cammie is of course worried about me and Vika is as well. It is hard to explain to her (or anyone for that matter) why I am doing this. The fact is if I have to explain, you wouldn't understand so there isn't a point in trying.

Our plan is to go slow and steady. Running burns much more energy per mile than walking so the logical strategy in our minds is to walk. We believe we have the gear to stay warm without having to run and we have put in plenty of gear tests to feel confident in that. We also have a nutrition plan. If we survive the full race we expect to burn somewhere around 8000 calories. I have tested my nutrition plan as well and it is amazing how much easier 30 miles is with proper nutrition versus 30 miles on peanut m&ms and water.

I will have my phone in my tent and will update both Facebook and our blog after every lap if possible. Possible, meaning I have the time and my fingers aren't too cold to type. I will also try to figure out which company is doing the chip timing to see if the results are going to be posted live. If so, I will share that info when I get it. Other updates will be available at muddernation.com.

I guess that is all for now. This is going to be awesome!

-Loren

No comments:

Post a Comment